How to Prep Your Home for an Open House
1. Vacuum to quickly clean up dust, hair, and crumbs.
2. Declutter because jam-packed bookcases give the impression of inadequate storage.
3. Remove personal mementos like photos to make it easier for potential buyers to imagine their things in the space.
4. Clean counters and faucets to remove smudges and add shine.
5. Put toilet seats down after swishing around some cleaner because nobody likes to be confronted with the inside of a toilet bowl.
6. Empty garbage cans and disinfect the kitchen bin to remove any lingering odors.
7. Hide dirty dishes in the dishwasher or in a large plastic bin that fits in the trunk of your car (a trick we learned from our realtor).
8. Turn on lights and open curtains because a bright and airy home is more appealing to buyers.
9. Hide laundry inside the washer or dryer instead of being left in a hamper.
10. Keep valuables out of sight and take your laptops with you when you leave the house.